An emergency situation or an evacuation can be a frightening and confusing time. It is important that seniors be educated about the potential for emergencies, the steps to take to be prepared and, the programs and services available to help get them through the emergency and return to their regular routine.
In addition to the basic emergency survival kit, it is essential that seniors being evacuated during emergencies take all equipment or devices they may need immediately with them.
Key areas to consider for seniors
- Assistive devices such as canes, walkers, hearing aids, breathing apparatus, etc.
- Prescription eyewear and footwear
- Extra medications and vitamin supplements
- Copies of prescriptions
- Extra dentures (if required) and cleanser
- Personal papers, identification
- List of names and telephone numbers (such as family members, doctor, case worker, seniors’ group contact person, etc.)